Working Together Toward A Sustainable Future
Our work in sustainability includes branding, positioning, content strategy and development, and events for climate-friendly companies in sustainable infrastructure, renewable energy, slavery-free material supply chain management, apparel manufacturing, climate action publishing and more.
Climate Tech is Booming
According to a 2023 McKinsey report — Investments in climate technology are still increasing, defying the headwinds that affected most capital markets.
Climate Justice for All
We support climate action initiatives that address racial and economic disparity and help clients craft messaging for Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG), Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Equator Principles (EP) communications.
Nice things people have said about our strategic work on projects together in climate action, ESG infrastructure investment, solar, wind and renewable energy.
“You’re a rock star. Persist.”
Founder, The Carbon Almanac & Best-Selling Author
“kHyal is a very effective communicator, designer and brand creator.”
Structured & Project Finance Analyst, CIFI
“We hired kHyal to rebrand our institutional image … The result was outstanding.”
Chief Investment Officer, CIFI Asset Management
“… one of the most accomplished, intelligent, professional, creative and talented people I have ever worked with.”
Founder & CEO, Microtech International
Our Work and Who We’ve Worked With
We collaborate with entities at local, regional, national, and international levels to develop and enhance brand identity, positioning, messaging, visual design, content strategy and creation.
Our partnerships span a diverse range of sectors, including ESG investment firms; climate action publishers; sustainable art, design, textile, and apparel initiatives, and environmental conservation efforts.
- A Better World by Design
- AIGA Design Educators Community
- AIGA Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Task Force
- Brown University
- Cifi Asset Management
- Design Ignites Change
- Felt & Wire
- Tree Conservancy of Darien
- Ink Publications
- Living Energy
- Material ConneXions
- MoCA Westport
- Project Storefronts, New Haven
- Rhode Island School of Design
- Sprouting Spaces
- The Carbon Almanac Network
- The Steelyard
THE CARBON ALMANAC
(Difference Maker) Invited by best-selling author Seth Godin to help promote The Carbon Almanac, named Data Literacy’s “Most Insightful Data Book” of 2022. Spearheaded the online fashion sustainability resource guide. Contributed to the creation of the LinkedIn course “34 Things to Know About Carbon and Climate.” Produced a standalone event for the global book signing, created content for “The Daily Difference.” Initiated outreach efforts to leaders in sustainability and climate action. Created an independent project and launched it at Art Basel Miami Beach / Miami Art Week.
HASBRO PROJECT UPCYCLE
(Judge and Grand Prize Award Designer) for Hasbro’s internal upcycling design competition at the company’s Providence headquarters.
(Cofounder) An ongoing collection of curated second-market industry books donated by agencies and creative professionals then distributed to students enrolled in design programs at high schools, colleges, and universities.
PUSH DESIGN CAMP
(Cofounder) A 3-day design camp for creative professionals on picturesque Block Island — packed with design workshops, salons, talks, and hands-on activities. Special events included farm-to-table gourmet meals, a natural-clay spa at Mohegan Bluffs, a for-good design project with the Ocean View Foundation, a felting workshop at North Light Fibers micro yarn mill, and a private design talk by former Crate and Barrel visual design director Carolyn Collins, followed by a tour, wine-tasting and shopping event her one-of-a-kind store, the Lazy Fish.
MEGAGLAM & MEGAGLAM VINTAGE
(Founder) MegaGlam® is a sustainable on-demand streetwear and upcycled apparel brand. MegaGlam Vintage is a pop-up, online vintage and secondary market apparel and accessories reseller coupled with personal shopping and styling services. Our regenerative approach aims to keep textiles out of landfills, reduce carbon and chemical pollution caused by clothing production, and lower water consumption.
REJECT FOUND + MADE
(Cofounder) Concept store dealing in vintage design and apparel, objects, books, lighting, and furniture crafted from recycled and vintage materials.
- Circular Economy Sustainable Materials Management, Lund University
- ESG and Climate Change, Wharton, UPENN
- The Sustainable Development Goals, University of Copenhagen
- Learning Design for Sustainability, SCAD / PMI Institute
- Sustainable Design Entrepreneur Program, FIT, 2011-2012
SUMMITS / WORKSHOPS / CEU credits
- Design For Freedom Summit, Grace Farms
- Factory45, Sustainable & Ethical Fashion workshop
- Kelley Drye In Fashion, Fashion & Retail Law Summit
- BUILD, New York
- Sustainable Global Sourcing Forum
- Sustainable Textile Summit, New York
- Swissnex Zero Power Smart Fashion, New York
- Certified Climate Reality Leader
- Acrylic Recycling Workshop with Off Cut Studio, MakeHaven / Yale CEID
- Beyond Plastics, Grassroots Advocacy Training
- Kombucha Leather Workshop with Yale microbiologist Nora Pyenson, Ph.D.
- Certified Brand Safety Officer, Brand Safety Institute
MEMBER / SUPPORTER / CONTRIBUTOR
- Plastic Pollution Coalition
- The Carbon Almanac Network
- Save the Sound, Cleanup Captain, International Coastal Cleanup
- The Climate Reality Project Southern CT Chapter
- Ash Creek Conservation Association
- Horseshoe Crab Recovery Coalition
- Project Limulus, Citizen Member (Tagging, Tracking, Reporting)
- Brooklyn Fashion + Design Accelerator (BF+DA)
MODERATOR / CONTRIBUTOR
- SHIFT Summit: AIGA Design Educators Community in partnership with AIGA Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Task Force
- Manufacture New York, NYC
Promoting ethical work practices and sustainable fashion
- Fashinnovation Worldwide Talks, New York
- Soundly Caring — A Long Island Sound Love Story
- Freestyle Fashion Conference, LIM College, NYC
- Manufacture New York Sustainable Textile Summit
- City Source at FIT Manufacturer’s Showcase
- 3D Print Show
- Swissnex Boston, Zero Power Smart Fashion symposium, NYC
- FashTech NYC Mini-conference, World Trade Center, NYC
- City Source at FIT Manufacturer’s Showcase
- Decoded Fashion Summit, NYC
- Billie Whitehouse, Wearable Experiments, NYC
- Reinventing New York Fashion + Market Week, NYC
- 2023, “Creativity and Climate Action,” MoCA Westport
- 2018, Closing Keynote, A Better World x Design, RISD/Brown University
MAKER / DESIGNER
- MEGAGLAM Streetwear, on-demand manufacturing
- Project Storefronts, Elm City Handmade, New Haven
- “We Want Your Trash,” A Better World by Design RISD/Brown University Gala, The Steelyard, Providence (One of 5 artists chosen out of over 100 submissions for an exhibition of art produced from discarded materials.)
- A Better World by Design Expo Showcase, Brown University, Providence
- Design Ignites Change, invitational sustainable design project with Mohawk
COLUMNIST / WRITER & DESIGNER
Ongoing Sustainable and Vintage Fashion feature, Ink Magazine.
Launched in 2004.
SUSTAINABLE MATERIALS JUROR
Invited materials juror
Material ConneXion is a world-class materials library and consultancy helping companies source materials that enhance the performance, aesthetic, and sustainability of their projects.
Media mentions of kHyal’s work in climate action, conservation, plastic pollution activism, sustainable upcycled and on-demand apparel and product design and other creative projects.
Brian Lockhart, “CT DEEP looking into ‘potential violations’ after horseshoe crabs crushed on Bridgeport beach”
Connecticut Post, May 26, 2023
Brian Lockhart, “Horseshoe crabs were crushed at a CT beach. Here’s why officials are now investigating”
Connecticut Post, May 24, 2023
SueEllen Campbell, “Recent articles analyze, assess fashion and beauty”
Yale Climate Connections, 2022
(Mention of The Climate Almanac Fashion Sustainability online resource spearheaded by kHyal.)
“kHyal on the Green Carpet,” ReFashionNYC
Christina Hennessy, “A green theme, dressed up in pink”
S Magazine, CT Post, December 13, 2015
Amanda Coen“A Better World by Design Expo Showcases Creative Innovation”
Inhabitat, October 2011
Christopher Arnott, “Project Storefronts Lets Artists Drive the Local Economy”
New Haven Advocate, October 2010
“Bring Design to Underprivileged Youth with These Notebooks”
Design Taxi, September 2010
“Letterpress Printers Create Notebooks for Youth Mentoring Initiative”
Media Bistro Unbeige, September 2010
Protecting Biodiversity: Horseshoe Crab Rescue at Seaside Park
Thank you to the Connecticut Post and all those who amplified our call to educate parks department staff and alert conservation organizations to protect horseshoe crabs.
Read more about our work at Seaside Park and other places at Soundly Caring.
A History of Sustainable Style and Textile Reuse
I began collecting and wearing vintage apparel from thrift stores and tag sales in grammar school. When I moved to Boston to attend college, I made extra money by selling my curated finds to high-end vintage stores in Back Bay.
I also refashioned vintage and contemporary second-market apparel into new shapes and styles.
This photo of me by Ian Churchill from 1981 illustrates many current sustainable fashion trends: a redesigned vintage coat and pants, leopard print, and readapted cowboy boots. While this illustrates how taste is often circular, the focus must shift to economic circularity.
Sustainable, Upcycled, Recycled & On-Demand Design Projects